Monday, March 10, 2008

I Come Old Like Toe Fungus Mold

So I caught a little flak from Seth when I changed my blogspot profile pic to the ODB album cover. I wasn't sure if it was Seth's puritanical views on swearing or his utter lack of hip-hop where-with-all since US3 stopped making records but it prompted me to get my thoughts on ODB on paper.
In my mind, ODB is one of the greatest rappers of all time. Pac, great, Biggie, great, ODB was better than both of them because of his raw creativity and impeccable timing. Raw energy, not overly cerebral, punchy and willing to bust out on some soul singing when the time called for it.
Dirty has a special place in my heart. I played "Hippa to da Hoppa" as my senior song at graduation. His first solo album is by far, the best Wu-Tang album of all time and amongst my all time top five favorite albums.
If you don't know, now you know. Go pick up "Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version" have at least 6 beers and see what happens. I bet you end up dressed as Rick James, putting in some gold fang fronts or breaking something (actually, I bet its all three).
OK a couple of embedded files. First one is "Hippa to da Hoppa" which I couldn't find a video for so its like one of those lame youtube montages - oh well, second one is the "Brooklyn Zoo" video.






Go crazy.

1 comment:

robert said...

I assume that everyone is down with Cooking with Coolio. Although I must say this is a little like Dr. Dre (who must at this point be a little like the grand old man of rap music) doing a Bob Ross impersonation. The reason that I bring this up is that someday our long national nightmare with rap music just has to end. The best way I can think of is to let guys like Mike Huckabee doing a stage strut, and having Lever Brothers pay Lil Bow Wow to use Lifebuoy. How can anyone even type the words "Lil Bow Wow" without cringing?

It's like bad hip-hop. It's over the top. It's like never-ending Dr. Seuss. It's like a baby of tar. A pickle jar. You just can't quite get loose.