Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Adventures in 101N

Whew, stuck in traffic on the 101 right now headed towards SF. So I could blog about my bus experience so far but it will be painfully boring (except for when I shot a goofy smile at Seth across the bus and the grumpy-faced guy in front of me thought it was meant for him).
Work is going alright. Its a little tough to get back into a 40 hour work week after two weeks off over the holidays. I have been doing my best to be as disruptive to my cube-mates as possible. I also hung up my Chiranjeevi poster today which was a major accomplishment. Who is Chiranjeevi you ask? Well, he is only the greatest Telugu action/singing/dancing star of all time.
(see below picture for evidence of this - please keep in mind that this picture was pre-stunna shades - so you can basically credit Chiranjeevi with the the bay area hyphy movement - and you thought it was E-40, pshh!)
Need to go to the music store this weekend and see what I have been missing for the last seven months. There should be new (to me) Blacksmith, Strong Arm Steady and Planet Asia albums. Its like Christmas all over again.
Oh, and shouts need to go out to Sara for putting me on to this youtube video. If you haven't checked out her blog do so immediately. Its much better written than mine but does focus on romance novels and ddr more than I am comfortable with, j/k.
OK, traffic has lightened up and we are hurtling towards the city. Laundry and Deadwood tonight. Those two things balance each other out. Maybe I will eat a burrito and tip the balance in my favor.
Later.

4 comments:

John Reese said...

Dear sir, with regards to this text here:

"please keep in mind that this picture was pre-stunna shades - so you can basically credit Chiranjeevi with the the bay area hyphy movement - and you thought it was E-40, pshh!)"

... what the hell are you talking about? How did you get to be so hip? Here are some of the terms in that sentence fragment that I did not understand:

- E-40
- hyphy
- stunna
- pre-stunna

... please provide a legend or glossary for those of us who are less hip than you. Thanks,

John Truscott Reese

Matthew Lewis said...

In alphabetical order:

E-40 (aka Earl Stevens) - Yay representer known to go dumby and ride the short bus and/or ghostride the whip.

Hyphy - Yay area musical/cultural movement characterized by its emphasis on shakin' dem dreads, thizz and grapes (not the fruit).

Pre-Stunna - Before Stunna. See Stunna below.

Stunna - as in Stunna Shades.

robert said...

You lost me with "adventures." Mr. Reese was able to parse this paragraph with admirable patience. However, as someone whose use of the word "dude" reliably connotes Beau Brummell, and whose understanding of Mr. Reese's use of the word "hip" relates only to a painful physical joint, I am left with only this rejoinder: Mark my words, young man, one day you too will be old, out of touch, and in the way.

Matthew Lewis said...

Your assumption that I am young and hip further underscores the fact that you are neither of those. I asked a cube full of my coworkers yesterday if they knew what Hee-Haw (the TV show) was and they looked at me like I was crazy.
The fact that I can trick my father into thinking I am "with it" does make me feel a little better though.